- Dish type
- Seafood starters
This is a classic dish in Neapolitan cuisine. Pair with a well chilled, dry white wine to get an evening among friends started.
15 people made this
- 500g mussels, cleaned
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 handful parsley, minced
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:30min
- Place the mussels in a large pan over medium high heat with a dash of oil and 1 smashed garlic clove. As soon as they open, remove them with a slotted spoon, being sure to let the cooking liquid drain into the pan.
- Discard the garlic and strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve. Open the mussels. Discard the empty shells and place the shells with the mussels on a roasting tin.
- Crush the remaining garlic with a pinch of salt to turn into a paste. Mix the breadcrumbs, garlic and parsley with the olive oil and a couple of tablespoons of the mussels' cooking liquid. Season to taste.
- Loosely top each shell with the breadcrumb mixture and place in a preheated 180 C / Gas 4 oven for about 10 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
This was an easy appetizer that we enjoyed. You must however balance the baking time with the size of the mussels. If your mussels are very small they can dry out before the breadcrumbs are brown. Thanks for posting the recipe-12 Sep 2012